[lbo-talk] CNN prints "Libertarian" ideas to save economy

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 6 15:30:47 PST 2009

B. writes:

They interviewed Pierre Bourdieu shortly before his death, which was printed in Anarcho-Syndicalist review, the mag formerly known as Libertarian Labor Review 'til the late 90s.

Reply:

In the long lost San Francisco of the early 1990's, I was introduced to _LLR_ by two anarcho-syndicalists (publishers of a kindred journal, if I'm not mistaken). So as I indicated before, I'm familiar with it.

Speaking of left-right libertarian tropes, one of the two guys was a card-carrying member of the NRA, with the "collection" (licensed, I assure you) to prove it. Of course, to anyone other than a liberal wet squib, the notion of proletarian armed self- defense should not come as a surprise... even if one questions the merits of the notion under present-day circumstances (as I do).

I went out for a coupla drinks with these gentlemen. Perhaps more than a coupla. One was quite enamoured with the South Korean independent labor movement and rather hopeful that it might evolve into the leading inspiration for believers in the self-administering capabilities of the working class everywhere. (Now that I've spent considerable time on the ground in South Korea, I must say that it is hard to identify a society whose population is less enmeshed in the electronic spectacle of consumer capitalism! -- despite the heroic struggles of South Korean workers and students.)

Man, those were the days. Then post-modern Clintonian capitalism cranked into high gear and everything became a cartoon (cell phones/ McMansions/Starbucks/SUV's/Britney Spears), never to revert to its former resplendence. Either that or I slowly morphed into a near middle- aged fart. Probably both.

_________________________________________________________________ Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_explore_022009