[lbo-talk] CNN prints "Libertarian" ideas to save economy

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 12:05:47 PST 2009

My take on this, after significant engagement with Bookchin's work some time back and arriving on the political scene after the right wrested "libertarian" from the left in the late-70s, was that "libertarian" and "populist" are parallel and atheoretical terms in the mainstream of US politics - at least along the lines of Marxist/sociological understandings of capitalism/modernity. In both cases, the left wing is primarily communitarian (often rooted in some variant of "Jeffersonian democracy") and the right is primarily dedicated to free markets (usually rooted in some variant of Smithian independent/moral economy) and both believe in self-determination. Tied to the query about "freedom" - and surely painting with too broad a brush - libertarians and populists tend to embrace a big-is-bad vs. personal-is-good kind of politics committed ot the idea that communities, or individuals, should be "free" to be and become who they want to be and become. Surely, liberatarian anarchists in North America draw on european traditions tied to intellectual and political traditions much more cognizant of the problems of the localism of American "populism" and the individualism of American "libertarianism" than are broadly understood much less embraced in the US.

********************************************************* Alan P. Rudy Visiting Associate Professor Dept. Sociology, Anthropology and Social Work Central Michigan University 124 Anspach Hall Mt Pleasant, MI 48858 517-881-6319