[lbo-talk] CBO on HR 1

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 09:51:42 PST 2009

Doug Henwood wrote:

> They present estimates for the unemployment rate which don't hit
> double digits. E.g.:
>
> 2009 2010
>
> do nothing 9.0% 8.7
> low est of plan 8.5 8.1
> high est of plan 7.7 6.8
> [midpoint 8.1 7.5]

If unemployment peaks at their midpoint estimate of 8.1% - that's 0.5% higher than today - I will eat my hat.

> If unemployment really does top out below 9% and then start falling,
> the politics might work out. Political perceptions are based on recent
> changes. If they can blame the Reps for obstructionism, it might help.

But the Republicans can't block the bill, it's going to pass. That's the genius of the Republicans' whole strategy. They were just the little minority that got steamrolled after presciently warning that the bill wouldn't work.

SA