[lbo-talk] 'great' 'conservative' movies

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 19:33:04 PST 2009

> That said, one of the remarkable things about aesthetics in the age of
> neoliberalism is how often progressive politics goes hand in hand with
> great art, whatever the genre: Hayao Miyazaki, Heiner Mueller, Mahasweti
> Devi, Orhan Pamuk, etc.

Is that really a remarkable fact about our age? It was my recieved impression that artists' politics have tended progressive at least since this whole modernity thing got rolling - not that there haven't been plenty of brilliant conservative artists, too, but that's no less true today.

Hmm. Maybe it is a little truer today, in that the death of romantic European conservatism ended a form of right politics for creative types (goofy libertarianism might provide the best substitute here...?)