[lbo-talk] More Kovel

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 20 16:54:57 PST 2009

At 04:37 PM 2/20/2009, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>Yup. Haven't heard back from them on mine. I went to Bard's webpage
>where they proudly announce:
>
>``Bard College and Al Quds University Create New Initiatives to
>Improve Palestinian Education System''

I haven't heard back either. I found this though:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/02/19/kovel

[....]

While Bard officials did not respond to inquiries, President Botstein did send Kovel a letter that included in it permission to release it, which Kovel did at this reporter’s request. In the letter Botstein notes that Bard is eliminating a number of part-time positions to try to preserve full-time professorships, and that ­ had finances remained “flush” ­ Kovel’s contract probably would have been renewed.

“To take what is self-evidently a result of economic constraint and turn it into a trumped-up case of prejudice and political victimization insults not only your intelligence but the intelligence of your readers,” Botstein writes. He goes on to thank Kovel for teaching at Bard and to say that he was never offended by having someone with his views on the faculty. “I am delighted that you hold views that many consider wrong or dangerous. You are not as controversial as you would like to believe.”

And Botstein notes that he is proud that Bard is working with help improve Palestinian education through the Al Quds University effort, writing: “I’m sure that over the years ahead Bard will do much good on behalf of education and justice in the Middle East. Parenthetically, may I express my disappointment that you never inquired about this new program, which was announced to the faculty last spring.”