[lbo-talk] An Open Letter to Lefty Friends, Colleagues and Bitter Foes Who're Disappointed by Obama

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 17:02:21 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski <swsokolowski at yahoo.com>wrote:

And it is not coincidence - its very institutional structure is designed to
> prevent change - the separation of power, the power of the judiciary (always
> a conservative force)

This is the second time within a week I've seen an LBO-Talker make this claim, here or elsewhere, and I'd be very interested in hearing either of you, or anyone else, expand on it. Between McCollum vs. Board of Education, Brown vs. Board of Education, Gideon vs. Wainwright, Miranda vs. Arizon, Roe vs. Wade, and others that have inevitably slipped my mind, hasn't the American judiciary often stood at the forefront of social progress? (I mean way the hell in front of society as a whole, to an extent that's been problematic at times.) Or have I missed something obvious?