[lbo-talk] Big rise in cannabis factories

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Mar 16 21:21:36 PDT 2009

Doug, I'm glad you stick to the easy questions. This has certainly been a central question within Marxist theory for some time. Marx once playfully referred to the government as nothing but, "the executive committee of the bourgeoisie." The question since then has been, what the hell does that mean? I'm somewhat sympathetic with Poulanza's (sic) argument, which takes the analogy seriously and argues that there is both an attempt on the part of most bourgeois governments to act as a mediating force for 'capital as a whole' (a claim for hegemony) and a set of institutions that develop and have interests of its own (as executive committees frequently have.) I'd be curious as to folks thoughts on this. (I know this is a very crude explanation of P's theories, and maybe I will find my own reading of it laughable once I return to his work for my lists... robert wood