[lbo-talk] french love of thugs (with style)

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Nov 14 21:25:12 PST 2009

On Sat, November 14, 2009 6:47 pm, Chris Doss wrote:

> My impression is that the Bengal Famine was the result of crappy economic
> policies combined with having to serve the war effort. I.e., not
> intentional.

No need for Shane to be so rude, but it's a fact that the British Empire did starve at least 2 million Bengalis to death in 1943. No, it wasn't intentional, any more than the 1930s Soviet famines or the 1960s Chinese famines were intentional. But British policies caused the famine, and the government officials of the time denied that there was a problem - I think the Americans offered food aid and were turned down.

-- DRR