[lbo-talk] Materialism is a form of idealism

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 10:07:15 PDT 2009

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Materialism is not the belief in objective reality. Everybody believes in objective reality except the utter solipsist, of which in philosophy there are none. Platonic Forms are an objective reality. Absolute Spirit is an objective reality. Not even Berkeley believed there was no objective reality (in his case, God). Materialism is the belief that what underlies objective reality is matter (whatever that is), as opposed to idealism, the belief that what underlies objective reality is idea (whatever that is).

^^^^^ CB: Not that matter "underlies" objective reality, but that there is nothing but matter. There's nothing and there's matter.

Ideas or human mind are a form of matter. Beliefs are matter.

Mach argues that we only have consciousness of "sense data" or some such term, and can't be certain that there is a reality beyond our consciousness of these. This logically reduces to subjective idealism. (See _Materialism and Empirio-Criticism_)