[lbo-talk] Back Again/Obamacare & Afghanistan

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 12 14:39:17 PDT 2009

Bet you thought you had gotten rid of me. No such luck. I don't except to be contributing heavily. At least I will try to restrain myself. Plenty of other demands. But I have missed the group.

Starting a priori, without having read anything by anyone in months, and no doubt having missed a thorough discussion of the issues, I have been thinking about

a) Obama's health care plan. Did people read the despicable David Brooks on Obamacare in the NYT today? He praises the current plan for not changing anything. I had thought that Clinton's program back in the early 90s was possibly worse than the existing system. I am not a health care expect by any means, but this program seems to me possibly even worse. If it is defeated it will do a lot of damage to the Obama administration, not itself perhaps a bad thing, but it will help the bad guys. If it succeeds, it will wreck the chances for health care reform for another generation.

b) Then there's Afghanistan. I thought BHO wanted to combine JFK & RWR. It looks like he's on course to do the bad parts of LBJ without the good parts. People forget that if it hadn't been for Vietnam LBJ would surely rank as one of the greatest Presidents, even from our point of view. That's partly because he'd break knees to do good. BHO seems tempermentally incapable of whatever kneebreaking needs to be done, as well as lacking the political skill and ruthlessness that made LBJ Master of the Senate. But Vietnam very nearly wrecked everything (and it was a lot) that LBJ accomplished. BHO is on course to having Afghanistan wreck whatever he might hope to accomplish.

And I campaigned for him. I suppose McCain would have been worse. But I think it's time for me to re-up in Solidarity again.

Andie