[lbo-talk] Signs of the times

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 17 22:14:01 PDT 2009

At 09:13 PM 9/17/2009, Left-Wing Wacko wrote:

>I think it a little unfair to pick on Mormonism as any more nutty
>than Catholicism. Simply because of age?

Wasn't the original Mormon idea to go back to the way the church was in the first century? It is the Church of Jesus Christ etc...

A pox on all their houses anyway. When I think of Dante I don't think Catholic. I think poet.

But then there is that radical kernel mentioned here before:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=9914

Slavoj Zizek has been called [yada yada]..... In The Puppet and the Dwarf he offers a close reading of today's religious constellation from the viewpoint of Lacanian psychoanalysis. He critically confronts both predominant versions of today's spirituality­New Age gnosticism and deconstructionist-Levinasian Judaism­and then tries to redeem the "materialist" kernel of Christianity. His reading of Christianity is explicitly political, discerning in the Pauline community of believers the first version of a revolutionary collective. Since today even advocates of Enlightenment like Jurgen Habermas acknowledge that a religious vision is needed to ground our ethical and political stance in a "postsecular" age, this book­with a stance that is clearly materialist and at the same time indebted to the core of the Christian legacy­is certain to stir controversy.