[lbo-talk] Polanski

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 30 15:23:40 PDT 2009

On Sep 30, 2009, at 6:11 PM, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> What struck me about this latest Polanski tale is the fawning and
> hedging responses from what Doug aptly calls the cultural elite.

Exactly. I won't deny I love gossip and scandal but what makes all this politically interesting is the way the cultural elite - a phrase whose use Shane Mage says shows I'm already O'Reilly-ized, and if so, fuck it - has united to defend its own. As a friend who browses the archives wrote me this morning, shocked by the defenses of RP, "what if it had been Cheney?" We know what the reaction to that would have been - gleeful calls for his heads, both little and big.

Doug