[lbo-talk] Thoughts on the Tea Party (and why the Left is

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 13:32:48 PDT 2010

Sombody Sombody said:
>One of the problems facing the left in the U.S. is that a profound mood of
political pessimism has seized the country: the feeling that we're a bankrupt country that can't afford to help the poor, welcome immigrants, or establish universal health care. I see this time and again, from talking to colleagues and relatives, reading letters to the editor, and from perusing the comment sections on the web. I see sentiments that the U.S. is bankrupt, the debt will overwhelm us, and we can't be burdened with public sector unions anymore. And the worst part is, I see these views expressed from people on both sides of the political spectrum. Oddly enough, a recession that threatened to turn into a second depression, that came on the heels of an era of financial deregulation and neo-liberalism, seems to have nevertheless fostered a political zeitgeist closer to the 1970's than the 1930's. This is as bad news for the radical left as it is for the Democrats. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ How so? It looks to be going over smashingly for the Dems.

Brad