[lbo-talk] The Banality of anti-Israel Lobby Doctrine

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Aug 10 15:49:07 PDT 2010

I've been reviewing in my mind the details of our anti-Zionist efforts in B/N and at ISU back in the early 80s, after the invasion of Lebanon.

The beginning was a small meeting called by the Campus Presbyterian minister. The openng public shot came when some poor soul wrote a letter to the Pantagraph attacking the Israeli invasion but using the word "Jews." I don't have the slightest idea whether he wa actually anti-Semitic or not, but I wrote a very nasty attack on him, accusing him of anti-Semitism and of betraying the cause of the Palestinians. About 3 wds against anti-semitism for every 2 wds against Zionism. It reduced the local Rabbi to sputtering rage when he responded to it.

Then on campus we launched a student grouip, Students for Free Palsetine. In some of our publicv utterances we attacked an anti-Zionist Republican Congressman for being anti-Semitic. At one public forum after I had made a statement wrapping Anti-Zionism in a thick blanket of anti-anti-semitism, those replying, including the wife of a local dentist, could only spsutter in incoherent rage. We really made a splash. We sent 25 students to spend six weeks in Ramahhah the next summer. And some national Zionist organization that published a map of anti-semitic hotspots, featureed Normal Illinois for awhile.

Had Joe been in B/N at the time and either wrote a letter or made a statement such as he's made in this thread, I would have used him as a fall buy, and however sure I was that he was NOT anti-semitic, I would have accused him in public of giving aid and comfort to Anti-Semites and perhaps being one himself, then have used that as a platform for accusing the Zionists of genocide.

This is not a fucking academic or courtroom debate. A whole people are being destroyed by the Zio ists and people in the U.S. are cluttering the struggle with these kind of idiotic debates.

Think in terms of organizing and agitation, not in terms of complex empirical arguments which only obstruct serious politics.

Carrol