[lbo-talk] Garden of earthly delights

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Fri Dec 24 08:25:52 PST 2010

I was looking at the work of an editorial cartoonist, named Len Norris. His regular job was doing newspaper cartoons for the Vancouver Sun.. Some of his work is very funny.

http://www.animationarchive.org/pics/norris06-big.jpg

I was thinking about the Bush and Obama administrations absurdities and why they didn't seem to generate a whole bunch of political cartoons. I found several of Norris's older cartoons including this cover art. I'd been drinking and saw this and thought Hieronymus Bosh goes camping.

Anyway, I remembered my first backpacking trip to the Sierra at fourteen. It was a lot of fun, but it was a killer hike (6000ft), took two days to get there, and had a lot of little mountain adventures. They rented a couple of flat bed stake trucks to get from LA to somewhere north of Long Pine.

Nobody had backpacks or sleeping bags, so the guys who ran this Y trip got a load of army surplus backpacks and sleeping bags. The equipment was minimal to say the least.

CG