[lbo-talk] weimar shadows

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 7 12:05:14 PST 2010

Bob Morris wrote:

> Ahem, if you view them as ignorant and superstitious, then you probably
> won't have much luck organizing them. Because they'll think you're an
> elitist condescending jerk. The Right doesn't make that mistake. They listen
> to them, treat them as equals.

But in agitation (and it is agitation, not organizing that is at issue) you aim first at the most likely to respond. If that works well, then on the next circle out, and so forth.

It is not their ignorance. They are not remotely any more ignorant than anyone on this list; they are just ignorant and knowledgeable on different thngs.

But you are being ignorant when you speak of "mistakes." The "right" is not agitating them; it is organizing those who are already on theeir side. The right does not make the mistake of tryign to change people's minds because it does not have to. The left has to change people's minds, which is an entirely different problem from the problems of rightists, conservatives, & liberals, who have to do nothing but mobilize the people who already agree with them.

But since we have to change people's minds profoundly, we hae to start with those few who agree with us on _some_ things, and gradually expand from that center. No matter WHAT we do now, we are not going to affect events NOW. We have to focus on the future. What can we do NOW that will make a difference in 2012 or maybe not until 2020 or maybe not until 2030. If we focus on now we will fail to make a difference at any time.

Carrol