[lbo-talk] weimar shadows

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Feb 7 12:51:00 PST 2010

Bob Morris:

>Ahem, if you view them as ignorant and superstitious, then you probably
>won't have much luck organizing them. Because they'll think you're an
>elitist condescending jerk.

Ignorance doesn't necessarily mean stupidity. But yes, a fair number of Palinites are profoundly ignorant about the state of political affairs. Again, I grew up with and am related to many of these people. They are not abstract to me. In fact, few that I've engaged considered me elitist -- bizarre, perhaps, given my views about queers and related social issues, but not in some ivory tower. Indeed, many of them went to college. I did not. So who's the elitist?

There are those who are confused about the modern corporate state and their place in it. Perhaps they are reachable. But there are many others who are simply bigoted, against queers, lib'ruls, Blacks, Muslims, etc. If you feel you can hack away at these hatreds and make them understand their "real" class interests, I'd love to read the recipe. As William Burroughs once said, quoting a Black queen, "Darling, some people are just shits."

Dennis