[lbo-talk] weimar shadows

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 7 17:12:42 PST 2010

Dennis Perrin wrote:

> Bob Morris:
>
> >Ahem, if you view them as ignorant and superstitious, then you probably
> >won't have much luck organizing them. Because they'll think you're an
> >elitist condescending jerk.
>
> Ignorance doesn't necessarily mean stupidity. But yes, a fair number of
> Palinites are profoundly ignorant about the state of political affairs.

Lots of people are prououndly ignorant for lots of things. And the forms and subjects of "ignorance" are so varied, that noting an ignorance of a perticular kind of a particular subject matter hardly explains anything. To pick a random example, I am prfoundly ignorant (and plan to remain so) of C-basic (and substitute any other programming language & the anser is the same). Why shouldn't I be? Suppose a Palin supporter should say to you, Yes, I'm ignorant of political affairs, but why shouldI be when I have someone I trust -- Palin, that is -- to guide me. I'm a busy perosn; I don't have much leisure time, and I need to relax. Besides, complicated prose gives me a headache. (Just, incidentally, as some complex posts on lbo-talk give Cox a headache trying to read them with his damaged eyesight.) And so forth.

How are you going to reply to that Palin supporter?

Carrol