[lbo-talk] Take that, IRS!

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Feb 19 05:34:10 PST 2010

dude, the article you used to support your argument used the term "brain drain" and described the situation as one in which there weren't enough bright people in Silly Valley:

You, yourself, also said "losing its tech edge". talk like that = thomas friendman et al meme of: omigod omigod omigod, we're no longer going to be number one. we need money. we need schools! we need to DO SOMTHING now now now before the rest the hordes move in and take all our stuff!

Maybe you had in mind a different article?

Here's what the article said about the report that the freakin rewritten press release (i.e., vapid blurb) is hawking:

The study lists a number of factors that have clouded Silicon Valley's future.

Stricter immigration rules in the wake of 9/11 and rapid economic growth in China and India have made Silicon Valley less attractive to foreign talent, particularly to fill science and engineering positions. Talent still flows from China and India and investment and collaboration between the Valley and the two countries are rising, but the growing economic power of the two nations is expected to eventually slow the flow of talent to the Valley.

Venture capital, a major source of funding for much of the innovation in the Valley in the past, is shifting away from software and semiconductors and into biotechnology, energy, medical devices, and media. In addition, Silicon Valley entrepreneurs have not been attracting significant shares of federal funding for some time.