[lbo-talk] Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research +++

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 14:48:25 PST 2010

Max: " I'd say any secessionist move would be a joke."

[WS:] Max, you missed my point. Any secessionist move would be a joke at the present time, I agree. What I argued was something very different - namely a possible outcome of a hypothetical situation of a fascist movement started gaining access to power, and unlikely event at the present moment.

My argument was that progression of fascism in the US would likely to be rather different from that in Europe. Unlike in Europe, where centralization of government made fascist consolidation of power possible, the US federal structure would make that consolidation rather problematic. Consequently, fascist advances would be uneven in the US, greater in some states and slow or none at all in other states. That situation, in turn, could results in internal tensions similar to those in the antebellum period, rather than a complete fascist takeover of the state as it happened in Germany.

So if secession occurred, it would not be a goal pursued by some secessionist faction, but rather an outcome (perhaps even unintended) of the uneven spread of fascism from state to state. It is a very different argument than simply saying that some secessionist wingnuts are likely to achieve their objective.

Again - this is a corollary to a hypothetical situation discussed in this thread pertaining to the possibility of a fascist movement in the US. Both Chip, to whose posting I replied and myself consider that possibility to be rather remote at the current time, but not ruled out altogether.

Wojtek