[lbo-talk] Obama killing Pakistani civilians at 8 times Bush's rate

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 4 12:22:12 PST 2010

On Jan 4, 2010, at 2:53 PM, Percival Myers wrote:

> If we are looking at the number of killed Pakistani innocents, what
> does it matter who owns the drones? Aren't the rest of the numbers
> from 2001 through the intervening years more important when the
> received answer is the rate at which Obama kills them in 2009 versus
> the 2006-2007 Bush rate - when we know Bush had already abandoned that
> battlefield in favor of a different one?

Spare St Barry from any embarrassing comparisons?

<http://www.jamestown.org/programs/gta/single/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=35542&cHash=4ab726a2c5

In 2002, the drones were mostly used to monitor ground activity. Attacks began apparently in June 2004. Through January 2006, the drone attacks "were relatively 'clean' in regards to unintentional civilian deaths...."

<http://www.opendemocracy.net/article/drone-wars>

"US forces struck just twice in 2006, three times in 2007 and seven times in the first eight months of 2008...."