[lbo-talk] Good point from National Review

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Mon Jan 11 11:02:42 PST 2010

If the new employer has group coverage, you'll get that, just like before. If he doesn't, you can't bring your old policy with you but at least you'll have access to the new menu. How good or bad it will be remains to be seen, but it will provide a choice not currently available.

The change for the better is certainly in doubt, but there seems no case for a change for the worse.

Since people will be required to buy into the new system if they lack other coverage, I'd say there will be pressure to improve its inevitable inadequacies, with public money if necessary. I think that's why the GOP hate hate hates the prospect of the reform. It commits the Gov to perfecting its vehicle for universal access to health insurance.

The inscos don't hate it because they get a piece of the action. I'll repeat a point I made before: under a welfare state, as opposed to social-democracy, the state coopts providers (in this case, insurance companies) into public benefits, gaining political support at the cost of some quality in the result. That's the territory we live in.