[lbo-talk] teachers running schools

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 10:31:00 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Gail Brock <gbrock_dca at yahoo.com> wrote:
> GB:  I'm going to be very interested in how this works out.  Management is a
> useful function -- to borrow from another thread going on now, there's a reason
> why pop musicians hire managers.  I don't think the issue is management so much
> as bad management, and what's interesting is whether "bad management" is simply
> redundant.  Does management always go bad?  Walter Reuther used to say that
> there was no reason for unions to organize since management would always do it
> for them.  On the other hand, if I were a teacher I don't think I'd want to
> spent my time on building repairs.  It would be better to have a principal who
> reports to the teachers as their subordinate rather than being the boss.   As
> this is presented, it's kind of organization bashing, and more specifically,
> government bashing.

I fail to see the problem with this last.... But I agree with you that a management-free school is not a panacea. The naive anarchist in me would like to think that by getting rid of the bosses and managers, all will be well. But of course there are many other bosses, in district headquarters, in the legislature, on the school board. Not to mention the baddest boss of them all: the one in the teachers' heads. Plus, even if teachers are in charge of the day-to-day operations of their school, the teacher-function, which is created by much larger social forces than principles, will remain the same.

Speaking of the teacher-function, I recently ran across this quote from Deleuze:

"We are wrong to believe that the true and the false can only be brought to bear on solutions, that they only begin with solutions. This prejudice is social, for society, and the language that transmits its order-words, 'set up' ready-made problems, as if they were drawn out of 'the city's administrative filing cabinets,' and force us to 'solve' them, leaving only a thin margin of freedom. Moreover, this prejudice goes back to childhood, to the classroom: It is the school teacher who 'poses' the problems; the pupil's task is to discover the solutions. In this way we are kept in a kind of slavery. True freedom lies in a power to decide, to constitute problems themselves."