[lbo-talk] Corporate Taxes, was why Prince is right

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Jul 10 13:06:50 PDT 2010

On Jul 10, 2010, at 3:42 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:

> At 03:24 PM 7/10/2010, Shane Mage wrote:
>
>> On Jul 10, 2010, at 3:15 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>>>
>>> oh! the end of capitalism will come if we just tax the corporations
>>> instead of da peepul!
>>>
>>> wtf?
>> Since that's the theme of corporate propaganda, isn't it worth
>> refuting?
>
> ....idiotic, useless shit that not one person in the damned debate
> can ever connect to the immediate problems people face right now and
> how whether or not getting the debate right or wrong matters to the
> problems people face right now...

The immediate problems people face right now are always *personal* problems. The incidence of taxation (a central question of economics for some three centuries now) is a *political* problem. And political problems take years, decades, centuries to resolve. Never "right now." The two sets of problems, of course, are related. The relation is this: until the political problem of transcending capitalism is resolved in a communist way the problems "people face right now" whether resolved or not in the immediate, will (or so most of us maintain) continue to recur and in ever worse forms until the political problem is resolved. Winning the intellectual debate against corporate capitalist ideologists is (or so most of us maintain) an important part of that political process.

Shane Mage

"L'après-vie, c'est une auberge espagnole. L'on n'y trouve que ce qu'on a apporté."

Bardo Thodol