[lbo-talk] Kafka

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sun Jul 25 13:51:27 PDT 2010

In a bank vault in staid Zurich an episode of high literary drama unfolded recently. A safety deposit box was opened and inside was revealed a handwritten manuscript of a story by Franz Kafka. At that same moment, an Israeli woman named Eve Hoffe ran into the bank building seeking to prevent the box from being opened, shouting: "It's mine, it's mine."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rodger-kamenetz/kafka-manuscripts-the-fig_b_653210.html

I am not sure I even have a comment to go along with this story. I just remembered the experience of reading Kafka for the first time. I saw the movie The Trial and immediately tracked down the book. Here is a movie clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApwPpqWzUlg

I think the comment is that none of the principles in this court case seem to see themselves with the delectable irony that Kafka might have, had he written the story himself.

CG