[lbo-talk] blog post: From Boulder North and West to Portland

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Sun Jul 25 16:24:00 PDT 2010

Full at http://blog.cheapmotelsandahotplate.org/2010/07/25/from-boulder-north-and-west-to-portland-part-1/

"We’re in our sixth month on the road. After a stay back in Boulder, Colorado to take care of personal matters, we traveled through Wyoming, Montana, and Washington, on our way to Portland, Oregon, where we lived for fifteen months in 2003 and 2004. We stopped first in Casper and Buffalo, Wyoming, neither of which will likely make you want to visit again. We did take a good hike on Casper Mountain, and we met some friendly Mormons having a breakfast cookout. Like so many small cities, Casper has alowed its downtown to be hollowed out, while the developments and strip malls outside town have grown rapidly. Our hotel was five miles from town, close to a burgeoning healthcare center. As the United States gets older and less healthy, medical entrepreneurs have seen investment opportunities in such places. Motel and hotel capital always follows; recovering patients and visitors will need places to stay." . . .

michael yates