[lbo-talk] Multipolar Geopolitics and the Middle East

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Jun 2 10:25:08 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 12:03:49 -0500 Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> writes:

> Or maybe not:
>

> Ties with Israel may outlast Turkish anger at raid
>
> by SUZAN FRASER
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/9106578
>
> ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Israel's deadly raid on a Gaza-bound aid ship
> has ignited unprecedented anger in Turkey and driven the Jewish
> state's relations with its most important Muslim ally to their
> lowest
> point in six decades.
>
> There are signs, however, that the countries' long-term strategic
> alliance and military ties will endure.

I think that much depends on how successful the elected government is bringing the country's military establishment to heel. Since the days of Kemal Ataturk, the military had been the real power within the state, and it regularly unseated elected governments that it had become displeased with. The current Islamist government in Turkey has gone a long way in terms of easing out generals and admirals (some of whom have been idicted and face charges) who it considered to be untrustworthy and replacing them with officers that are more likely to follow the dictates of the elected government.

It is clear that the Turkish military establishment has long valued its ties with its Israeli counterpart.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant ____________________________________________________________ Penny Stock Jumping 2000% Sign up to the #1 voted penny stock newsletter for free today! http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4c069427978c51b84m03vuc