[lbo-talk] London Underground's Privatization Experiment Dead as Remaining PPP is Bought Out

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Fri May 14 06:19:56 PDT 2010

[WS:] No disagreement here. But we need to distinguish between government and political parties that run it, often aground. The government i.e. civil servants in the US seems to extremely accountable and responsive. The problem is with political parties - essentially private entities controlling government functions - which sabotage the government for partisan gains.

This is nothing new, George Washington already talked about this problem in his farewell address http://www.earlyamerica.com/earlyamerica/milestones/farewell/text.html (sections 2-26) - but this critical distinctions esapes most Americans. They either mixed up government with political parties or blather about "bureaucracy" whereas they shoube bashing political parties.

The main reason for PPP is party politics - not government inability to carry out its functions. As GW aptly observed, party politicians want to exploit their access to public resources for private partisan gains, and PP come handy as a legitimate way of doing it (i.e. not overtly embezzling public resources.)

Wojtek