[lbo-talk] LBO News from Doug Henwood

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Fri May 14 08:21:24 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 11:05:07PM -0400, Shane Mage wrote:

> On May 13, 2010, at 10:35 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
> > stop assuming that the
> > Bush Administration was affected by lack of intelligence.
> >

> But isn't that exactly the assumption made by Doug and all the other
> Left adherents
> of the Official AlQaeda Conspiracy Theory?

My only assumptions are that in the absence of a comprehensive and tightly structured police state, it is fairly easy for an intelligent and determined individual or group to cause a lot of mayhem.

This assumption is based on observation of the very bad ways we (humans) evaluate and mitigate risks. Collectively we are incredibly bad at it, especially when we try and think about it.

Even with a comprehensive police state, there will be flaws. But the USA is fairly open in that perspective. The reason there aren't more people causing massive mayhem is because the people who can do it are rare. It takes a combination of intelligence (to identify flaws correctly), murderous pathology, and willingness to die. You may find smart psychopaths but they usually have sufficient desire for self-preservation. Most psychopaths who are suicidal lack the patience and dedication to complete the plan.

What you mock as the "Official Conspiracy Theory" is simply the explanation most consistent with the facts. Those facts are

1) it is trivial to sneak crude weapons on to airplanes

2) it was trivial to violently gain control of an aircraft [that

has changed - due to reenforced cockpit doors, but mostly due to

the fact that if someone tries to gain control of a plane, the

passengers will go apeshit, and the crew is unlikely to open the

doors, no matter how many throats are being cut]

3) commercial airliners are only moderately difficult to steer

[versus takeoff or land]

4) individuals on the planes fit the

determined/smart/crazy/suicidal profile

5) those individuals had clear links to an organization with

motive and funding.

A set of random coincidences doesn't undermine those facts, nor do they collectively become a better explanation.

I recognize that a conspiracist can never be convinced; every fact in support of the conventional explanation is part of the conspiracy, and every coincidence proves the conspiracy. To a conspiracist, the conspiracy is proven by the lack of evidence. This is an intellectual dead end, but if any readers are considering going down that road, I am hoping to dissuade them....or at least offer caution.

Conspiracy theories are very much to History as Intelligence Design is to Biology. Both are rooted in denial of evidence in favor of dogma.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim/google/MSN/yahoo: beyondzero123

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

-Ferris Bueller