[lbo-talk] Chomsky regards himself as a supporter of Israel

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 28 09:49:29 PDT 2010

On May 28, 2010, at 12:20 PM, Eric Beck wrote:

> Chomsky regards himself as a supporter of Israel and brags about
> meeting Walid Jumblat. (Thanks Raed)
>
> PS It is an extremely disturbing interview (forget about the Israeli
> reporter here) but the reference to Israel "harming itself" as Chomsky
> put it, is telling enough.

No it's not. This is pretty much the same line that Norman Finkelstein took when I interviewed him the other day - Israel is destroying two societies, the Palestinian and its own. As Norman put it, Israel is becoming an even more brutal and ugly place. He also says he doesn't care if someone call himself a Zionist, as Chomsky does (and so too Richard Goldstone), as long as he's on the right side of the I-P conflict. As Norman said in the interview, this might not please Palestinian purists, but he wants peace, not ideological litmus tests.

I'll be posting the show pretty soon.

Doug