[lbo-talk] delusional

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 17:43:41 PST 2010

The Republicans only have escalation dominance because the Dems are chicken, have tied themselves to a losing horse and can't defend their positions because their positions aren't substantially different than the Republicans. Despite Dredmond's point being spot on, the Democratic Party had the support and conditions to do things that were substantially different and could have provided arrows to deflate that purported escalation dominance. SA keeps on providing us polling data and facts derived from points AFTER the Democrats had already thrown away the advantage they could have maintained. Both data points SA appeals to are after the oh-so tame stimulus that was oh-so tamely promoted, after Obama refused to aggressively note that the bail-out was Bush's, and after they'd been weak, irrationally bipartisan and invisible on health care. After they threw their advantage away its not hard to see how they'd have difficulty deciding whether it was safer to try to win it back - in significant part by turning on the blue dogs and telling them that if they want to get re-elected in their previously-red districts they're gonna have to toe the line (remember how we heard that Rahm was good at that and how we've since heard that Pelosi runs the House like a feifdom? well, what's the evidence? unless they didn't want the advantage they had and preferred to be Republicans light.) Clinton figured that he could win by appealing to economic unrest in traditionally Democratic ways, on the one hand, and by appropriating traditionally Republican and neoconservative discourses on social services, on the other. Obama's appropriated the traditionally Republican neoliberal economic programs Clinton actually developed and intensified the traditionally Republican neoconservative discourse on social services and the anti-individualist, anti-protestant work ethic and un-American culture of poverty. With all of that, however, I kinda thought he'd try the kind of neoliberal version of the New Deal he clearly had the option to advance and that he'd use his speechwriters to constantly call for bipartisanship in the name of America's greatness (I know, puke, but we're talking Democrats here not us) while calling the Republicans on their refusal to join in to save the nation. Republicans may be increasingly reactionary but Democrats are, by this point, inherently reactive rather than pro-active. They have utterly and completely ceded the terrain to Republicans and now simply try - when the conditions are right - to win away games. It's like when the Yankees were playing in Shea Stadium... or when Buffalo plays in Toronto... every game's on enemy turf (though, its pretty clear that they've met the enemy and it is them... man, I miss Walt Kelly.)