[lbo-talk] Juan Cole: The Problem of PETN

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Nov 23 18:06:25 PST 2010

Somebody the other day said you can not have a democracy and an empire. It's one or the other. That's about where we are at and the establishmend has decided for empire. CG

I remember now, who it was. Chambers Johnson. Below is an extended interview with Johnson from 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQi4-97GXrI&feature=related

I don't go for the whole package because he leaves out the intense concentration of power of the capital elite and their interests in military empire---which is there to secure their interests around the world.

The other component where I have a problem is the idea we need to look out for military populist president. McCain was something of the type. This issue that economic elite can and have arranged it so that there is basically no difference and no choice when it comes to either neoliberalism or a militaristic imperial foreign policy. Both parties share these two systems almost as doctrine: neoliberal at home, militaristic enforcement abroad.

Finally around 49:50mins we get to the economic engines