[lbo-talk] Seymour Drescher and the Decline of the West Indian planters

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 18:55:54 PDT 2010

On 9/25/2010 9:11 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> SA writes:
>
>> You claim the US wanted access to Iraqi oil.
>
> You're missing a subtlty here: the US wants "open" access to oil; it
> wants there to be no one who can hold access to oil over it in a
> power-play, like what happened in 1973.

But anyone who produces oil can conceivably hold access to oil against the US in a power-play. That was true in 1973 - when Saudi Arabia and other US allies did it - and it's true today. I don't see how invading Iraq could possibly do anything to affect the likelihood of it happening again. In 2003 was Washington afraid of the prospect of a multinational oil embargo?

SA