[lbo-talk] Wisconsin recall results

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 07:02:55 PDT 2011

Joanna: "This rests on the assumption that the dems represented a progressive alternative."

[WS:] No, it does not. It rests on the assumption that if the voters do not like what the party in power is doing, they vote them out. Clearly, not enough people in Wisconsin disliked what the Repugs were doing there.

To clarify things even further, let me reiterate what I said on this forum time and again - the majority of the US population likes business, and hates government, unions, and anything that smacks of the collective. And since the US electoral system can be described as a "tyranny of the majority", a truly progressive candidate, or even Euro-style social democrat, has a zero chance of being elected in all but a few localities. Bashing Obama and Democrats misses this 800 pound gorilla in the room altogether.

Wojtek