[lbo-talk] Arab Spring: The Libyan Remix

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Aug 30 17:30:08 PDT 2011

On Aug 30, 2011, at 8:45 AM, Wojtek S wrote:
> Question to ravi: can you give me an example of an institution or a
> social movement that is not manipulated by elites or wannabe elites?
> I cannot think of any.

Probably there aren’t any. But limiting this manipulation, if possible, helps, doesn’t it? I would like us to work with concrete examples if possible. Take Chavez or Mossadeg. The more they pay (or paid) heed to Western calls for “transparency”, “openness” (or “open markets”), “democracy”, etc, the more their programme of reforms is (was) under risk. I admit/understand that strongmen have been worse more often than better, historically (and I understand and agree with DDR’s argument re:Libya, than that of his opponents). Though Marv Gandall is under the impression that I am in a rush to defend Carrol or his position, I am just clueless on what the way out of this catch-22 is for “third” world countries. Perhaps as in the case of India, if they gained independence at the cusp of transfer of power from the UK to the USA, they stood a chance - though look at the case of Pakistan. At any rate, I don’t have any answers.

—ravi