[lbo-talk] Boots Riley on Occupy the Hood

Jordan Carroll jordanscarroll at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 18:08:29 PST 2011

If OWS tried to organize workers, it seems like they would need to be able to give some sort of material support (e.g., strike pay, guaranteed legal aid) and, more importantly, make long-term commitments to workers. While we can be fairly sure that the Occupy movement will continue, a given Occupation is liable to go into dormancy or change its membership and character rapidly (e.g., when Zeitgeist or Ron Paulites move in), leaving hypothetical Wal-Mart employees high and dry. I know this is probably verboten in some circles, but has there been any discussion of collecting and pooling voluntary cash donations from Occupiers or establishing some sort of minimal institutional apparatus to ensure continuity in any of the Occupations?

-- Best,

Jordan