[lbo-talk] Definition of nation (was as if on cue)

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 07:55:03 PST 2011

[WS:] What I meant to say was that taking away collective identity will reduce humanity to a brave new world. Nation is but one form of such identity.

As to whether the erosion of national identity is a good or a bad thing - it depends what it is replaced with. The chance are that it will be replaced with corporate identities and their dreadful authoritarian monocultures - and that would be a horrible thing. You can see that when you stay in 5-star hotels (which I am trying to avoid as a plague.) No matter in what country they are located, they cater to the same dreadful corporate life style (golf as the utmost form of pass time, the same business attire, the same routines and assortment of luxury products, and worst of all the cultivation of the same "everyone is to serve me" attitude. Each time I encounter these places I think to myself that when the revolution finally comes, these places - and the golf courses affiliated with them - will be turned into agricultural cooperatives in which their current occupants will learn the virtues of hard labor ;).

Wojtek