[lbo-talk] John Ross, 1938-2011

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 18 20:50:26 PST 2011

On Jan 18, 2011, at 10:10 PM, SA wrote:

> On 1/18/2011 9:27 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>

>>> I was encouraged actually. Hard to say why. You can live to 72 on the fringe of poverty, politics, intellectual edges, and numerous fronts of revolt and do art, music and or poetry. Hell yeah.
>> I'm too much of a wimp for that.
>

> Didn't it seem easier once upon a time? This is a question for those age 50 and above.

I think it was easier to live on the margins 30-40 years ago. Things like housing and health care were a lot cheaper (in relative terms). The job market was tighter, so you could slip in & out of employment more easily. But then again, the fact that I'm older now means that my standards are higher. I like boletus mushrooms.

Doug