[lbo-talk] John Ross, 1938-2011

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue Jan 18 22:42:38 PST 2011

I think it was easier to live on the margins 30-40 years ago. Things like housing and health care were a lot cheaper (in relative terms). The job market was tighter, so you could slip in & out of employment more easily. But then again, the fact that I'm older now means that my standards are higher. I like boletus mushrooms.

Doug

-----

It wasn't that complicated. You believed in your body and its ability to endure. Well, I could look at my flesh and believe it would endure the ravages of anything---once upon a time.

I didn't give a damn for housing, health care, a future career or anything like those bullshit ideals. I knew they were lies almost before I understood anything else.

I don't know how to communicate this. I could live and that was enough... That was why guys like John Ross were illuminaries. What was a dead left eye, a battered body, a ravaged flesh, in comparison to the art and politic---yes a much abused term---the romantic. You lived beyond. Except of course for the tabacco, the drugs, the alcohol, the books, the converstations into the starry night... Under the volcano never looked so good.

CG