[lbo-talk] Note on Low vision and web sites

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 23 16:34:04 PDT 2011

On 7/23/2011 1:58 PM, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> Wireless keyboard and mouse don't have to be that close to the
> computer/monitor. Well, and neither does the monitor have to be that close
> to the computer, but then that would take a long cable you'd have to be very
> careful about.

My computer glasses are focused at six inches. Hence the amount of screen I can take in in one glance is limited. At size of font I'm using now, I can see "My computer gl" without moving my head. Incidentally, with the last lurch downward, I can no longer see myself in the mirror. Six inches is too close: try it. More than six inches & my insane optical cortex takes over and manufactures the view into something strange and barbarous.

The font size I'm using right now keeps the above line showing through "into." That's good enough when I'm composing a short note. For anything much more complicated I'd have to write in a word file and keep it all on screen..

Incidentally, with macular degeneration, as with other non-treatable ailments, whole industries grow up to prey on those who have it.

Carrol

Carrol