[lbo-talk] Transcending Medieval Economics

michael perelman michael.perelman3 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 12:57:55 PDT 2011

In my new book, Sex, Lies and Economics, about early economics of the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries, one of the constant themes is the struggle against the medieval thinking. Beginning with William Petty, the early economists I am analyzing were following the new science, which emphasized close observation to replace received dogma. Here is a nice description of how the dogma was presented at the time. Notice how closely the medieval method resembles the scholastic method that the early economists opposed. In this sense, we are losing ground.

Matters of exchange: commerce, medicine, and science in the Dutch Golden Age by Harold John Cook: More at: http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/transcending-medieval-economics/

530 898 5321 fax 530 898 5901 http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com