[lbo-talk] Caroline Fourest: In Praise of Consent

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Jun 3 10:50:53 PDT 2011

----- Original Message ----- From: "c b" <cb31450 at gmail.com>

The fetus doesn't apprehend or receive the symbolic (non-natural) dimension of heroin, seven kids, toxic manufacture chemicals until after it becomes a baby or even child. While it's a fetus, it''s the physico-chemical dimensions of these that most impact it .

I didn't say it did. I was suggesting the physio-chemical dimensions which do affect consciousness and development.

"The soical significance of the mother being pregnant with seven kids does not get through to the being until after its born. Before that it is mostly the natural aspects of the seven kids that get through. It is precisely the cultural or historical meaning , semantics, of those seven kids' voices that does not get through to the fetus. It's more like what other mammal fetuses experience, the voices of seven little kittens for a cat fetus , or bear cubs for a bear fetus. Or the cat mother or bear mother being tired from caring for them."

I brought up the seven kids scenario to suggest the effect of stress on the fetus.

J.