[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] Todd Gitlin: the most pompous ass ever?

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Jun 9 15:20:12 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps I misunderstood the breadth of Robert's claim that "the underlying point is still basically right." I'll respond to the only point on which I see any real disagreement between us:
>
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 12:32 AM, Robert Naiman <naiman at justforeignpolicy.org> wrote:
>>
>> Why should I care if they object to "armed struggle under other conditions"? Like, if they lived on Alpha Centauri, maybe they would have a different opinion, so? The question is what they do in Palestine, under actually existing conditions.
>
> Right, that's what I'm talking about. It would be a grave error in logic, as well as a falsification of another people's struggle, to assume that all or most of the Palestinians who participated in the May 15 border mobilization, for example, necessarily oppose rocket fire into '48. A lot of them don't.

Whether they oppose the rocket fire is much less important at the moment than what they do collectively in their own demonstrations in terms of keeping them nonviolent.

Still, the rocket fire has a real political and human cost for the Palestinians, and over time, as nonviolent resistance grows in Palestine politically, it's going to increasingly compete politically with rocket fire, because the political space is finite, and when they are in political proximity, the use of violent resistance undermines the use of nonviolent resistance. In fact, nonviolent resistance has been competing politically with violence in Palestine for some time, with increasing success. Eventually, I suspect, nonviolent resistance will win this political competition.

Hamas Lawmaker: Gaza Flotilla Did More Than 10,000 Rockets July 7, 2010 11:26 AM http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/hamas-lawmaker-gaza-floti_b_637791.html