[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] Todd Gitlin: the most pompous ass ever?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 09:20:32 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Robert Naiman <naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
> wrote:

Whether they oppose the rocket fire is much less important at the
> moment than what they do collectively in their own demonstrations in
> terms of keeping them nonviolent.

Once live gunfire begins, do you imagine that's anyone's priority?

> Still, the rocket fire has a real political and human cost for the
> Palestinians, and over time, as nonviolent resistance grows in
> Palestine politically, it's going to increasingly compete politically
> with rocket fire, because the political space is finite, and when they
> are in political proximity, the use of violent resistance undermines
> the use of nonviolent resistance. In fact, nonviolent resistance has
> been competing politically with violence in Palestine for some time,
> with increasing success. Eventually, I suspect, nonviolent resistance
> will win this political competition.

If you say so. I've wracked my brain, and I can't think of a single anticolonial struggle which has followed the narrative you propose here, which seems to me like a distinctly Western vulgarization of Indian history.