[lbo-talk] Weiner unhid!

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 06:28:27 PDT 2011

SA: "The evangelical hymn was appropriate, because this is an evangelical approach to politics. It's about saving souls - but who cares about saving souls? Surely, as someone who admires Marx, you can see that businesses can't be brought to be nice to workers through moralism; consumers can't be brought to use less carbon through moralism; and by the same measure, leftists can't be brought by moralism not to vote for the Democrats. In each case people behave as they do not because they've failed to see the light on the shore, but because of the structural situation they are in. Lesser-evilism isn't a sinful lifestyle, it's a structural condition in which we find ourselves. If we want to work our way out of this situation, moralizing -- and worse, ridicule and invective -- won't help. Only strategy will. I don't have a twelve-point plan for this, but if such a plan existed it would surely involve, at some stage, working with Democrats, both elected ones and rank-and-filers."

[WS:] This is a very sensible way to put it, indeed. I could not agree more.

Having said that, however, I can also see the value of blowing off steam on the internet - especially in a way that does not use other list members as punching boys. It serves as catharsis of a sort in these rotten times. Kvetching about Democrats seems to fit that mold, but it also smacks of juvenile contumacy - I will stomp my feet and curse at my mom because she did not give me what I wanted. Without this child-parent frame, kvetching about Democrats makes little sense - nobody kvetches about an asshole stranger who did not give us what we wanted.

Wojtek