[lbo-talk] American Thought Police

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 28 09:34:19 PDT 2011

Doug Henwood

On Mar 28, 2011, at 10:16 AM, ken hanly wrote:

> Krugman claims that the attack on academics through the Republican
> conservative thought police is Un-American. Surely it is as American as
apple
> pie. Communist witch hunts have just been replaced by liberal lefty witch
hunts.
> The dawn of neo-McCarthyism.

And Dems were hardly innocent during the McCarthy era. A lot of that anti-Communist crap started under Truman.

Also: my friend Corey Robin says that Cronon was deeply opposed to the attempts of the grad students to organize a union at Yale. He's changed his tune apparently, now that his ox is being gored.

=====

Indeed. "McCarthyism" is a serious misnomer, and it distorts any understanding of the Great Red Hunt. (Actually, it started under Wilson: Remember the Palmer Raids.) It was well underway and had already claimed a number of victims when the opportunist McCarthy climbed aboard. It really should be called The Truman Era.

Footnote: The CP influenced quite a number of votes in Wisconsin. They supported McCarthy against La Follette because they thought he would be a weaker opponent in the general election! Tailing the DP leads to many strange and dark corners.

Carrol