[lbo-talk] Berkeley City Councilmember to UCB

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Mon Nov 14 15:15:42 PST 2011

``The U.C. Police Department recently used violence against Berkeley students, workers, faculty and community supporters on November 9. This was unprovoked, unexpected, unjustified and unreasonable. The General Assembly at the event had publicly and clearly committed to nonviolence, and the participants appear to have maintained their nonviolence despite the violence inflicted on them. The police clearly could have arrested individuals rather than repeatedly hitting them with batons and grabbing them by their hair....'' Kriss Worthington

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2011/11/12/councilmembers-open-letter-re-police-violence-on-campus/

Wish he'd get me a break on my numberous parking tickets....

His district represents much of south campus, so staying in good with the students is his bread and butter. There is a long history of tension between UCB and the City, with the City obiviously more liberal than the Uni administration. The university is on Regent owned property and they can invent any rule they want. There are jursdiction disputes with long histories.

As to beating students to make them go away, there are practical reasons. They were probably not violitating any particular university rule. I'd wait and see how Birkenau writes up some fake rule or policies. The real power of these fake rules, is getting enough violations to get kicked out of school. One of the old ones, was improper use of university facilities. These are handled in an administrative law system within the university. You appeal to a Dean .. So we'll see.