[lbo-talk] Jobs

Charles Turner vze26m98 at optonline.net
Fri Oct 7 06:47:43 PDT 2011

On Oct 7, 2011, at 9:05 AM, Wojtek S wrote:

> [WS:] Please note the boutique pricing scheme - the "high end" (64GB w
> 3G) model costs $116 to produce, but its retail price is $330 higher.

Well sure, but where's it's competition? And the analysis doesn't take into account costs other than materials. Certainly there are other costs involved besides the veneer of snobbery/class status. What's the price difference between a copy of Windows 7 and OSX Lion?

> Functionally, Ipad is piece of shit in my opinion, far inferior to a
> netbook that sells for $270 but does not have a "boutique" appearance.

The examples I cited were orange-to-orange comparisons in terms of their specifications, not Netbook to iPad.

You're entitled to see no value in the iPad, but I've found mine to be very useful, far more so than a Netbook for my work:

. Flat profile and on-all-time presence lends itself to being passed around during meetings and work sessions, which for me occur on construction site and other odd places.

. I charge it approx. once every two days, don't have to worry about it shutting down, ever.

. Omnigraffle runs very well on the iPad, and as per the above, a work group can brainstorm onsite with a shared document. How does Visio run on your Netbook?

. I have easily developed my own programs for the iPad, utilizing camera and GPS and SQLite databases. Don't have to juggle camera and laptop/Netbook or notebook plus drawings and measuring tape anymore.

Best, Charles