[lbo-talk] Susan Abulhawa on WITBD for Palestine (rights vs. statehood)

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 15:45:35 PDT 2011

"... So what is the path forward?

"Before we answer that, we have to decide what is the end game.  What is the result we want to achieve.  Unfortunately, and after 65 years of this struggle, we still do not have a truly unified call.

"People often ask me which proposal do I support, the one state or the two state.  It seems those are the only two proposals in people’s mind.  That it has to be one or the other and we end up struggling for one or the other.  We waste precious time and energy debating the merits of one over the other.  Which is better, we ask: The Two State Solution - ostensibly based on the 1967 borders; or the One State Solution - which would presumably include all of Palestine for all her inhabitants.

"The fundamental problem with both of these proposals is that they are concentrating on the political construct and of statehood.   And I think that is the wrong approach.

"If we drill down to what we really want, what we all want and all can agree on: it is to live dignified lives in our own homeland, with full human and civil rights accorded to everyone there equally regardless of religion.

"I know this sounds a lot like the One State proposal; but it differs in that it is simply a call for basic rights.  It is not a call for a particular political construct because frankly, it doesn’t matter what the political construct looks like, as long as all our basic human rights are upheld, and that includes our natural right to return and live in our own homeland.

"This, in my opinion, is what we should be working toward.  Calling for our natural rights as human beings and as an indigenous people is what unifies us all.  To be accorded human rights is our rightful inheritance.  It is the rightful destiny of human beings not to be subjugated, expelled or oppressed.  The call from Palestinian Civil Society, which originated inside the occupied territories, is the best starting place framework.  In any event, we are in great need of a consensus for a unified and uncompromising call founded on the goal of human dignity.  This can form the frame of reference for whatever actions we take.

"So, I would say, do NOT think in terms of a political construct; but to think in terms of human rights.  In terms of human dignity and human worth that is not measured by religion.  This is a goal that will unify us and will strengthen our collective efforts that pour into the same movement for freedom ..."

http://palestinechronicle.com/view_article_details.php?id=17181