[lbo-talk] OWS Hits the Political Class in Germany

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 15 12:24:24 PDT 2011

Sigmar Gabriel, head of the SPD, demands the separation of investment and commercial banks.  This article in Spiegel Online quotes Gabriel as encouraging people to hit the streets "against the rule of the financial markets".

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/0,1518,792010,00.html

Of course, this is all just creepy opportunism from an SPD politician.  The SPD-Green government in the late-90s and early 2000s played a major role in the deregulation of the financial markets.

Nonetheless, this is a sign of the success of OWS.  In the next few days I think it will be incraesingly difficult to deny that this is a mass movement on a global scale.

I have not been this excited since the Seattle-Genoa-Porto Alegre era.